Mechanics - Capitalization
Do not capitalize prepositionsA preposition is a word that begins a prepositional phrase and shows the relationship between its object and another word in the sentence. A preposition must always have an object. Source: Lesson 180,
conjunctionsA conjunction is a word that joins other words, phrases (groups of words), or clauses (groups of words with a subjects and verb). Source: Lesson 76, or the
articlesArticles are the adjectives a, an, and the. Source: Lesson 41 (a, an, the) that come within a
proper nounProper nouns name a special person, place, or thing and begin with capital letters.
Source: Lesson 18.
University of Utah
Smith and Sons
Instructions: Capitalize each word that needs a capital letter.
1. The university of california is found in many different cities in california.
2. The battle of the bulge was an important battle.
3. The gulf of mexico is found south of texas.
4. One period of history is called the dark ages.
5. The cape of good hope is near africa.