Mechanics - Punctuation - Commas
Use a comma or commas to separate the exact words of the speaker from the rest of the sentence unless the sense of the sentence requires some other punctuation (? or !). In quoted words, the comma always goes inside the quotation marks.
"I can help you now," said the clerk.
The clerk said, "I can help you now."
Instructions: Place commas or other punctuation where they are needed.
1. "What time is it " she asked.
2. "Come with me " said the guide.
3. "Don't leave me " shouted the little girl.
4. The man replied "I believe you."
5. The passenger inquired "What time is it?"