Quiz for Lessons 166 - 170
Parts of the Sentence - Adverbs
Instructions: Find the adverbs in the following sentences and tell what word they modify.
1. You are almost always the leader.
- almost (how much) modifies always
- always (when) modifies are
2. Please turn around slowly, Ted.
- Please (how), around (how), and slowly (how) modify turn
3. Now we will try this totally complicated case.
- Now (when) modifies will try
- totally (how much) modifies complicated
4. Again and again he had been warned about the very extreme weather.
- Again (when) and again (when) modify had been warned
- very (how much) modifies extreme
5. Certainly he looks decidedly older in that somewhat dim light.
- Certainly (how) modifies looks
- decidedly (how much) modifies older
- somewhat (how much) modifies dim
6. The missing document reappeared suddenly and rather mysteriously.
- suddenly (how) and mysteriously (how) modify reappeared
- rather (how much) modifies mysteriously
7. I will never come here again.
- never (when) and again (when) modify will come
- here (where) modifies will come
8. Pavarotti sings very well.
- well (how) modifies sings
- very (how much) modifies well
9. Today you surely will tell a totally truthful story.
- Today (when) modifies will tell
- surely (how) modifies will tell
- totally (how much) modifies truthful
10. Almost every answer has been quickly and assuredly given.
- quickly (how) and assuredly (how) modify has been given
- Almost (how much) modifies every