Quiz for Lessons 176 - 180
Parts of the Sentence - Prepositional Phrases
A prepositional phrase may be used as an adjectiveAdjectives modify or affect the meaning of nouns and pronouns and tell us which, whose, what kind, and how many about the nouns or pronouns they modify. They come before the noun or pronoun they modify except for the predicate adjective which comes after a linking verb and modifies the subject. Source: Lesson 151 telling which or what kind and modifying a noun or pronoun. An adjective prepositional phrase will come right after the noun or pronoun that it modifies. If there are two adjective prepositional phrases together, one will follow the other. Only adjective prepositional phrases modify the object of the preposition in another prepositional phrase.
A prepositional phrase may be used as an adverbAdverbs are words that modify (1) verbs, (2) adjectives, and (3) other adverbs. They tell how (manner), when (time), where (place), how much (degree), and why (cause). Source: Lesson 161 telling how, when, where, how much, and why and modifying the verb and sometimes an adjective. Adverb prepositional phrases can come anywhere in the sentence and can be moved within the sentence without changing the meaning.
Instructions: Pick out the prepositional phrases in these sentences and tell what they modify.
1. A tree with sharp thorns grew beside the wall.
- with sharp thorns modifies tree (subject)
- beside the wall modifies grew
2. The airplane soared above the people on the field.
- above the people modifies soared
- on the field modifies people
3. My uncle, the owner of the ranch, rode his horse past the house.
- of the ranch modifies owner (appositive)
- past the house modifies rode
4. We followed the cougar by its tracks in the snow.
- by its tracks modifies followed
- in the snow modifies followed (telling where we followed it)
- or -
- in the snow modifies tracks (telling which tracks)
5. The bear tumbled over the fence and into some bushes.
- over the fence and into some bushes modify tumbled
6. Tons of wreckage were left after the tornado.
- of wreckage modifies Tons (subject)
- after the tornado modifies were left
7. The highway wound over a hill and through a beautiful valley.
- over a hill and through a beautiful valley modify wound