Quiz for Lessons 221 - 225
Parts of the Sentence - Verbals
Instructions: Find the participles, infinitives, participial phrases, and infinitive phrases in these sentences and tell what word they modify.
1. My attempts to comfort the lost boy were useless.
- to comfort the lost boy modifies attempts
- lost modifies boy
2. Having been left behind, the puppy gave a whining howl.
- Having been left behind modifies puppy
- whining modifies howl
3. The exhausted men were given the signal to start the march.
- exhausted modifies men
- to start the march modifies signal
4. The admired musician wants a person to study with him.
- admired modifies musician
- to study with him modifies person
5. The screaming fans cheered their fighting team.
- screaming modifies fans
- fighting modifies team
6. The droning lecture caused the students' heads to nod.
- droning modifies lecture
- to nod modifies heads
7. Having finished our work, we now had time to play.
- Having finished our work modifies we
- to play modifies time