Quiz for Lessons 231 - 235
Parts of the Sentence - Verbals - Adverb Infinitives
Instructions: Find the infinitives or infinitive phrases in these sentences and tell what word they modify.
1. The salesman is likely to go and to return in one day.
- to go and to return in one day modify likelyPAdj
2. The crowd had come to demonstrate against his cruelty.
- to demonstrate against his cruelty modifies had comeV
3. I would be happy to help you.
- to help you modifies happyPAdj
4. Frightened by the bear, I was unable to move or run.
- to move and (to) run modify unablePAdj
5. No one came to see the old man.
- to see the old man modifies cameV
6. The commentator stopped to clarify his statement.
- to clarify his statement modifies stoppedV
7. In this storm it is hard to see.
- to see modifies hardPAdj
8. The deer returned to eat more from our yard.
- to eat more from our yard modifies returnedV
9. We stopped to view the beautiful sunset.
- to view the beautiful sunset modifies stoppedV
10. I was able to grab the rope and climb to safety.
- to grab the rope and (to) climb to safety modify ablePAdj