Quiz for Lessons 291 - 295
Parts of the Sentence - Compound & Complex Sentences
Instructions: The following sentences are made up of two independent clauses with one or more dependent clauses. You are to identify the clauses telling what kind each is. The choices are independent clause, noun clause, adjective clause, or adverb clause.
1. Rulon steered the jeep down the muddy road to the camp site, and then he discovered that it was the wrong road.
then he discoveredindependent clause
that it was the wrong roadnoun clause.
2. When Carl came up to bat, the bases were loaded, and there were two outs.
the bases were loadedindependent clause, and
there were two outsindependent clause.
3. I've just learned that our vacation plans must be changed; as a result, we'll leave later in the month.
that our vacation plans must be changednoun clause;
as a result, we'll leave later in the monthindependent clause.
4. Older television sets had tubes; the newest models, which take less space, are digital televisions.
which take less spaceadverb clause,
5. My Uncle Al drove a snow-removal truck, and when there was a big snow storm, he would be called to work at any time.
when there was a big snow stormadverb clause,
he would be called to work at any timeindependent clause.
6. If you are an election judge, you distribute the ballots, and you count them after the polls close.
you distribute the ballotsindependent clause, and
you count the themindependent clause
after the polls closeadverb clause.
7. Many monuments are found around the White House, and foreign leaders who come to Washington often visit them.
who come to Washington oftenadjective clause visit
8. The doctor told us how we could revive a heart-attack victim, and she demonstrated on a dummy, me.
how we could revive a heart-attack victimnoun clause,
she demonstrated on a dummy, meindependent clause.
9. Jeff tried the new dance steps that had been demonstrated, and he mastered them quickly.
that had been demonstratedadjective clause,
he mastered them quicklyindependent clause.
10. The bola is a rope which is used to catch animals; it has weights on the end of it.
which is used to catch animalsadjective clause;
it has weights on the end of itindependent clause.