Quiz for Lessons 6-10
Parts of Speech - Verbs
Instructions: List the verb phrases in the following sentences.
1. My wife is reading in the hammock under the tree.
2. The message can't be altered.
3. Somewhere a party is being planned.
4. Shouldn't I be a clown for Halloween?
5. I've run out of time.
6. Write down as many of the twenty-three helping verbs as you can.
Group 2: has, have, had
Group 3: do, does, did
Group 4: shall, will, should, would
Group 5: may, might, must, can, could
1. What are the 5 helping verbs that can be used alone as state of being verbs?
2. What are the 6 helping verbs that always show action when used alone?
3. What are the 3 helping verbs that can show action or state of being when used with other verbs?
4. Name the remaining helping verbs that cannot be used alone. Hint: Group 4 & 5.
Need help? The answers to the extra credit questions can be found in Lesson 5.