Quiz for Lessons 86 - 90
Parts of Speech - Review
The eight parts of speech are verbs, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions, and interjections.
Verbs show action or state of being.
Nouns are the names of persons, places or things.
Pronouns take the place of nouns.
Adjectives modify nouns or pronouns and tell which, whose, what kind, and how many.
Adverbs modify verbs, adjectives, and other adverbs and tell how, when, where, and how much.
Prepositions must have an object and show a relationship between its object and some other word in the sentence.
Conjunctions join words, phrases, and clauses.
Interjections show feeling and are punctuated with either a comma or an exclamation point.
If you need further clarification on any of the parts of speech, see the Daily Grammar archives (http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.html). Remember that what part of speech a word is depends on how it is used in the sentence.
Instructions: Identify what part of speech each word is in the following sentences.
1. After she cleaned the room, Mrs. Johanson asked me if I would move the furniture and take out the trash.
2. Yes, we arrived safely in Canada, and we enjoyed the visit with the grandchildren although the weather was really cold and cloudy.
3. A good score comes from a great deal of careful work and effort.
--For answers scroll down.
1. After - conjunction, she - pronoun, cleaned - verb, the - adjective, room - noun, Mrs. Johanson - noun, asked - verb, me - pronoun, if - conjunction, I - pronoun, would - verb, move - verb, the - adjective, furniture - noun, and - conjunction, take - verb, out - adverb, the - adjective, trash - noun.
2. Yes - interjection, we - pronoun, arrived - verb, safely - adverb, in - preposition, Canada - noun, and - conjunction, we - pronoun, enjoyed - verb, the - adjective, visit - noun, with - preposition, the - adjective, grandchildren - noun, although - conjunction, the - adjective, weather - noun, was - verb, really - adverb, cold - adjective, and - conjunction, cloudy - adjective.
3. A - adjective, good - adjective, score - noun, comes - verb, from - preposition, a - adjective, great - adjective, deal - noun, of - preposition, careful - adjective, work - noun, and - conjunction, effort - noun.
DAILY GRAMMAR - - - - by Mr. Johanson
Copyright 2014 Word Place, Inc - - All Rights Reserved.
For your convenience, all of our lessons are available on our website in our
lesson archive at http://www.dailygrammar.com/archive.shtml. Our lessons are
Daily Grammar Lessons Search