Quiz for Lessons 171 - 175
Parts of the Sentence - Review
Instructions: Using all the knowledge learned in the previous lessons, find the verbs, subjects, predicate nominatives, direct objects, appositives, nouns of address, adjectives, predicate adjectives, and adverbs in the following sentences. If there are any adjectives or adverbs, then tell what word they modify.
1. Soon John will be too big and will need far more time.
farAdv moreAdj timeDO.
- Soon modifies will be and will need
- too modifies big
- big modifies John
- far modifies more
- more modifies time
2. The city council usually runs this city fairly efficiently.
cityDO fairlyAdv efficientlyAdv.
- usually and efficiently modify runs
- this modifies city
- fairly modifies efficiently
3. Unfortunately all people are not free.
- Unfortunately and not modify are
- all modifies people
- free modifies people
4. The boat owner started the engine up and cast off the lines.
upAdv and castV offAdv theAdj linesDO.
- The and boat modify owner
- the modifies engine
- up modifies started
- off modifies cast
- the modifies lines
5. Mom, can I go and watch the game?
- the modifies game
6. How can you be so slovenly?
- How modifies can be
- so modifies slovenly
- slovenly modifies you
7. Yogurt is almost completely nonfattening.
- almost modifies completely
- completely modifies nonfattening
- nonfattening modifies yogurt
8. Mrs. Carter, that is my cousin David.
- my modifies cousin
9. Art Buchwald, a humorous writer, has a really good column.
hasV aAdj reallyAdv goodAdj columnDO.
- a and humorous modify writer
- a and good modify column
- really modifies good
10. Did anyone call, Ann?